Thursday, February 2, 2012

Camping in Januray???

Yes we went camping in the middle of January.  I am not going to lie...I was cold. I am not a huge camping fan, but I enjoy it every once in while. I don't know where we went...somewhere a little east and south from us, only about an hour and a half away from our home.  Matt went bow hunting (roll my eyes)  for javelinas.  He enjoys going hunting and being out doors so much, I don't really get it, but I support it.  I had great visions of us camping happily, playing card games in our tent and sitting around the fire roasting marshmallows.  Although we did all those things, it wasn't as great as it was in my vision.  Matt had gone down with some friends the week before and had met some really nice people that live there.  When they learned we were coming back the next weekend they totally took care of us.  When we got there they had our fire all up and running.  And took Matt out hunting the hole next day. That night it was really cold, everyone was warm all night except for me, I tossed and turned and worried if the kids were warm enough.  But morning came and the sun came out.  Matt took off early and I was left alone to cook breakfast.  I didn't mind, I was actually really excited.  I was cooking pancakes and eggs. I had the Bisquick shaking bottle and was sure this would be a breeze.  I got the propane stove going and pored the batter on.  First BIG problem was I brought a plastic spatula and it started melting when I would try and flip the pancake.  What the heck, it never did that at home and we have a gas stove.  Any ways...I did manage to get one pancake and one egg off the griddle before calling it quits.  I then decided we would just have hot chocolate and some homemade bread with butter and jam that I had brought.  As I was trying to boil the water, the  propane thing started sputtering and huge flames were coming out.  I decided to turn it off and put the pot of water on some coals by the fire.  That worked really well and we all enjoyed our breakfast.  Then the wife and kids from the family that got our fire going last night, came up to check on us.  We drove to meet the guys for lunch. Only they never came cause they were following some javelinas. But the kids all had fun playing together.  Long story short...Matt didn't get a javelina.
 Secretly I am thrilled because now this...
does not have to be sitting on this.
Do you think this is a good spot to put a stuffed javelina??? 
Neither do I.

2 comments:

  1. I love your sense of humor at the end of your post! Good for you guys for getting out and doing some camping! We love camping but it sure is a lot of work with kids but you got to do it for the kids. They love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a good wife Lori. The things you put up with from Matt....he's lucky to have you. Cody looks great in the videos!

    ReplyDelete