Monday, November 1, 2010

Pokey Ear Rings

(I am late posting this, because I have been looking for a picture of Elena sitting on the toilet with her purple pixie wings on. It was so cute and I have NO idea where it is, so I will just post without it.)

I wanted to pierce Elena's ears when she was a new born, but there were those who talked me out of it...saying, oh wait until she is older and she can choose if she wants them or not. I can honestly say....if Elena could talk when she was an infant, she would have said "I WANT POKEY EAR RINGS!!!" So... since I didn't get them pierced when she was an infant, now came the question of at what age is she responsible enough to have pierced ears? I still don't know what age that is. Any one can tell you that 3 is really not considered the age of being responsible, but that is what I am here for right? So we struck a deal with Elena. When you are potty trained you can have pokey ear rings. We started to try to accomplish this oh...a year ago, but we were not consistent. Then after we moved we got serious and tried again. Elena tried to convince us that since she was sitting on the potty, that she was potty trained (even though her pants were soaked) But the day finally came when she started doing things on her own, having less reminders and very few accidents. The other day, I crouched down beside her in the bathroom and told her... I think you're potty trained. Her immediate response was.... I get pokey ear rings???? So on Friday the 15th, I did it, I took her to get them pierced. I didn't tell her until we were in the mall. I said lets go look at pokey ear rings and she just stopped mid step and smiled, she was speechless. Smiling and speechless. She picked out some cute white sparkly flowers and sat up in the chair. Then the guy put on latex gloves and I could see her smile fade to a fearful strait face, but she was still determined. Then came the moment of truth....the POKE!!!! and what happened after...nothing, no tears, no screaming, no crying.....just shock and happiness. Then the guy lined up the second one and POKE!!! it was over. She did great! She was on cloud nine and so proud of her Pokey Ear Rings.

6 comments:

  1. I just got my girls done and they're 4 & 6 and I heard all about it...blah blah blah. Everyone has their own opinions I guess. I love them though and so do they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! I've been thinking about it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is just so cute. We miss her and her cute personality. That is great she didn't cry. I told Caitlyn she can get hers done when she wants to, but she is too scared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are so cute and I'm so glad to see how cute she looks. I'm glad it was so easy for her and to know how happy she is with her pokey earrings. I like the Michael Buble music so thanks for recommending that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is adorable! Don't let people talk you out of it- you can always get their ears peirced when they're newborns and if they decide they don't want them when they are older than they can simply take them out. But what little girl would want to do that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cute pictures, Lori. Your kids are getting so big. I clicked on your blog from Melissa's.

    ReplyDelete