Monday, October 12, 2009

First Few Days of School

Long over due and kind of long, but here is the info on the first day of School. Kindergarten didn’t start until a week after the other school kids started school. But during that week they had a meet your teacher day. Cody's teacher, Mrs. Hoddenboch had a fun






treasure hunt and a cute school bus treat that Cody got to make. I have never doubted sending Cody to Kindergarten…..UNTIL about four weeks before school started, I happened to ask our RS President (who happens to teach Kindergarten) what her opinion was on sending an August birthday child to Kindergarten. She said she would wait a year and then send him when he is six. I very much love this lady and really value her opinion, so as you can imagine….. I started STRESSING!!!!!!! The decision was up to me, this decision would play into Cody’s success as a student and life in general. Every person I asked had different opinions of what I should do, some for it, some against. I called the principal, I prayed about it and was pretty sure about going ahead and sending Cody. I also thought about the well if’s…. If we were still in Arizona, he would have gone to Kindergarten all day long. And if we were still in California he would have gone to Kindergarten all day long and 80% of it would be completely in Spanish. (which we were really excited about) So surely my little guy can handle a half day, all in English. But then the deal was sealed when I asked my good friend Rachel from High School, who is a school teacher herself. She gave me the greatest compliment saying…..I know that you are the kind of mom who will dedicate everything you can to see him be successful. So, if he is ready and you're ready...try it out. She was right, I am all in on this one and I will do everything I can to help him be successful! At this point I have no look backs or regrets, Cody is doing really great and in my opinion, right on target. His handwriting is not great, but so is Matt’s and he is still a very accomplished and successful man. And we still have some years ahead of us to work on that. So anyways here we go…..








The first day I dropped him off, he was excited to be the first in the line, but that made it bad for pictures…..couldn't see the little dude. After school I was anxiously waiting for him to get off the bus, but after all the kids got off, there was still no Cody. I poked my head in and asked the bus driver. Cody? she said and she looked behind her. There was Cody on the front row just sitting there. I said Cody come on and he hopped off the bus. I have to laugh at this, because in Arizona, the preschool bus picked him up and dropped him off in front of our house, and a lady would walk him off the bus. So I think Cody was just waiting for some one to tell him to get off. The second day I took him to the bus stop and we all waited and waited and waited and no bus, so again dropped him off at school. After school, I again waited anxiously for the bus and as it rounded the corner I could see a body in the back of the bus bouncing up and down.
Somehow I knew it was my jumping bean and sure enough it was. He bounced off the bus like he had been doing it for years. We finally got the bus figured out for taking him to school and we are like old pros. Cody you are such a fine boy and make such a cute Kindergartner. We are so proud of you!

9 comments:

  1. That's awesome that Cody is doing well! I love how little kids are so excited to ride the bus. I understand the frustration, my oldest is an August birthday and I went through that same debate. I ended up sending him when he was 5, he was ready, and I've never regretted it. I guess it just depends on the kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a time he'll remember forever. I can still vividly remember Mom dropping me off at Kindergarten and then she disappeared. That was over 40 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like he enjoys school...at least that is what he told me. I am glad that you sent him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All my sisters are summer birthdays so they have graduated or will graduate as 17 year olds. But I'm a winter birthday so I sound like a slacker graduating at 18. Cody will sound like the super smart kid that he is and graduate high school at 17. But that's years away so I don't know why I'm even bringing it up. Enjoy Kindergarten and being 5 while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kowhai was a june baby and I had the same concern. We put her in as a 5 year old, same as you. It's never been a problem. Your little guys looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute pics! I remember back to school time being so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like he is loving it. We have the same problem we will be facing with Drew in a few years. Glad to see everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! First of all, I'm flattered you took my advice. Second, I'm so glad it is working out for you guys. I love that we got back in touch. You have a darling family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Rachel. I think it totally depends on the parents too and with you there's no question!

    ReplyDelete